Doesn’t the title itself already encourage you to start writing straight away? Just kidding! I guess you need a stronger push than just a title. Well, I can provide this little push in the form of real examples of my students’ essays after following all these 5 steps. Just skip to Step 4 if you don’t believe me and bear in mind when you read their essays, they are B1 (intermediate) students.
Step 1. The difference between an opinion essay and a persuasive essay.
Opinion essay: in an opinion essay the writer states his opinion and supports it with facts, evidence and examples but he doesn’t try to convince the reader.
Persuasive essay: in a persuasive essay the writer tries to convince the reader to agree with his opinion. The author uses logic and facts, definitions and examples in order to persuade the reader to share his point of view.
Step 2. Top tips for writing an opinion essay
1 Basic do’s when writing an opinion essay
- Introduce each paragraph with a topic sentence, outlining the main ideas.
- Do not write about advantages or disadvantages or points for or against.
- Write in formal style.
2. Basic don’ts when writing an opinion essay
- Don’t use colloquial expressions.
- Don’t use short forms.
- Don’t use emotive vocabulary.
3. Decide whether you agree or disagree with the title. Try to think of at least two or three good reasons to support your opinion, including examples of why you think the alternative point of view is wrong.
4. Organise your essay into clear paragraphs.
- Introduction: Introduce the topic and give your opinion. Say whether you agree or disagree with the statement.
- Body: 2 or 3 paragraphs. For each paragraph give a reason to support your opinion.
- Conclusion: Summarize your ideas and repeat your opinion using different words.
5. There is a process to writing. Try to follow it. It will help you a lot
The writing process from cristinaca
Step 3. Useful expressions and linkers
Download the pdf here
Step 4. Examples of opinion essays written by B1 students
Three essays written by B1 students to help you get started.
Step 5. 22 opinion essays to choose from
Your turn! Choose from one of the options and write an opinion essay.
Plan your content and organise it in four or five paragraphs (introduction, reasons and conclusion).
First of all, I think that some people thought that there are a small number of people that play videogames, this is what, sometimes the fathers say. But they don't know, that there ara a lot of people that play videogames nowadays.
I think that videogames are good for the people. One positive point is that videogames are a method of entertainment, but there is some people that plays all the day and this are not a entertainment it turns into a bad habit to the person.
Another positive point, I think, that some videogames can teach you with a different way, for exemple some shooting games have a previous history with the World War and others. And you, playing it can learn the history.
In addition, i think that when a person took the videogames with a bad habit will have a eyesight with others points for exemple the point that they could turn into a fat person because this person don't do fit. Speaking about that (the issue of the article), I think that If you play a sporty game, for exemple the basic games of the Wii Console, you can do exercise with these games. But by other hand, if you go out to do sport somewhere you can do a good exercise, and you could disconect of the screen and the house.
To sum up, sorry for go up and up with the comment but I think that i have to detail the things that I don't like.