Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster Case Study Ppt Presentation

Preparing for the experiment

The experiment was scheduled to run during the day shift of 1985, while the night shift would only have to maintain cooling of the radioactive decay in the shut-down plant. However, another power generator nearby unexpectedly shut down, necessitating the need for the Chernobyl plant to delay the test and continue producing power. The experiment would be resumed at 11:04 PM, by which time the day shift had departed and the evening shift was about to leave. This meant that the experiment would be conducted in the middle of two shifts, leaving very little time for the night shift employees to be briefed about the experiment and told what to do.

The power reduction of reactor 4 to 700 MW was accomplished at 00:05 AM on the 26th of April. However, the natural production of a neutrino absorber, Xenon-135, led to a further decrease in power. When the power dropped to about 500 MW, the night shift operator committed an error and inserted the reactor control rods too far. This caused the reactor to go into a near-shutdown state, dropping power output to around 30 MW.

Since this was too low for the test, it was decided to restore power by extracting the control rods. Power would eventually rise and stabilize at around 200 MW.

The operation of the reactor at such a low power level would lead to unstable temperature and flow. Numerous alarms and warnings were recorded regarding emergency measures taken to keep the reactor stable. In the time between 0:35 and 0:45 AM, alarm signals regarding thermal-hydraulic parameters were ignored in order to preserve the reactor's power level.

The test continued, and at 1:05 AM extra water pumps were activated in order to increase the water flow. The increased coolant flow rate led to an increase of the coolant temperature in the core, reducing the safety margin. The extra water flow also led to a decrease in the core's temperature and increased the neutron absorption rate, decreasing the reactor's power output. Operators removed the manual control rods in order to maintain power.

All these actions led to the reactor being in an unstable state that was clearly outside safe operation protocol. Almost all the control rods had been removed, which reduced the effectiveness of inserting safety rods in an emergency shutdown. The water was very close to boiling, which meant that any power increase would cause it to boil. If it started boiling, it would be less effective at absorbing neutrons, further increasing the reactor's power output.

Conducting the experiment

The experiment was started at 1:23:04 AM. The steam to the turbines was shut off, causing the turbines to start spooling down. Four of the eight cooling pumps were also shut down. The diesel generator was started and began powering the cooling pumps after at 1:23:43. Between this time, the four pumps were powered by the slowing steam turbines. As the turbines slowed down, their power output decreased, slowing the cooling pumps. This lead to increased formation of steam voids in the core, reducing the ability of the cooling water to absorb neutrons. This increased the power output of the reactor, which caused more water to boil into steam, further increasing the reactor's power. However, during this time the automatic control system was successful in limiting power increase through the insertion of control rods.

At 1:23:40, a button was pressed that initiated the emergency shutdown of the reactor and the insertion of all control rods. It is believed that this was done as a routine method to shut down the reactor to conclude the experiment and not as an emergency measure.

The process of inserting the control rods was initiated, but it took about 20 seconds for the rods to be completely inserted. A flawed design in the graphite-tip control rod meant that coolant was displaced before the neutron absorbing material could be fully inserted and slow down the reaction. This meant that the process of inserting the control rods actually increased the reaction rate in the lower half of the core.

A massive power spike occurred, causing the core to overheat. Some of the fuel rods fractured, causing the control rods to become stuck before they were fully inserted. Within three seconds the core's power output rose to above 500 MW. According to simulation, it is estimated that power output then rose to 30 GW, ten times the normal power output. This was caused by the rising power output causing massive steam buildup, which destroyed fuel elements and ruptured their channels.

It is not possible to know precisely what sequence of events led to the destruction of the reactor. It is believed that the steam buildup entered the reactor's inner structure and lifted the 2000 ton upper plate. This steam explosion further ruptured fuel channels, resulting in more coolant turning into steam and leaving the reactor core. This loss of coolant further increased the reactor's power. A nuclear excursion (an increasing nuclear chain reaction) caused a second, even more powerful explosion.

The explosion destroyed the core and scattered its contents in the surrounding area, igniting the red-hot graphite blocks. Against safety regulations, a flammable material, bitumen, had been used in roof of the reactor. When this was ignited and scattered into the surrounding area, it started several fires on reactor 3. Those working there were not aware of the damage that had been done and continued running the reactor until it was shut down at 5:00 AM.

Из консульства? - Его тон заметно смягчился. Беккер кивнул. - Так, значит, вы не по поводу моей колонки.

Categories: 1

0 Replies to “Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster Case Study Ppt Presentation”

Leave a comment

L'indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *